25 Jun Know Your Market
Take the Lund “Talent Relatability” Quiz: You’re on the air and no one is more community-focused than you. Your listeners think you’ve lived in the market all your life. Thus, you are totally aware of your hometown and sound like it on the air. The following questions are a snap, right? Also, any PD who cannot answer these questions has been in the office too long!
- What time do most people wake up? What time do most people start work? What hour has the greatest number of listeners, according to Arbitron?
- When does rush hour begin and end? Where do traffic jams mostly occur, and when? What’s the worse intersection in town? Where are the speed traps?
- What are three local place, street or people’s names most likely to be mispronounced by newcomers?
- What are the three biggest tourist attractions in the area? When were you last there and when did you last talk about them on the air?
- From personal experience, name three popular vacation spots for local residents. What about weekend escape places?
- Who are the three biggest employers? When do shifts begin, end, and change? Is this a union town? Which one(s)?
- How’s the overall business climate (good, stagnant, etc.)? How’s the growth?
- Is downtown dead, alive or dead-after-five? What are the big shopping malls? How do they do?
- Where do most listeners shop? How does the weather affect local business?
- In what direction is the town growing – for business and residence?