07 May 5 Ways to Achieve Higher Ratings
Posted at 15:41h in New & Timely
This is designed for stations surveyed by Nielsen diary, PPM or Eastlan. What can you do to improve your audience ratings?
- If you play music, tighten your playlist. Music is the #1 reason you have listeners. Make them happy. Play the hits; remove the stiffs. Reward listeners by playing just their favorite songs – those that research the best.
- Package your spots into one or two stopsets an hour, and play long sweeps of music. After the early morning hours, non-stop music keeps listeners tuned in.
- Program for stronger recall. Sell your station name often and always include the dial position. Diary or phone methodology ratings depend on people “remembering” what they listened to going back a day or longer, and PPM rating stations also benefit from strong branding. Say the station name 30-40 times an hour! Repetition insures recognition and recall.
- Say the station name between every song. Cold song-to-song music segues are a lost branding opportunity.
- Effectively tease what’s coming up. Go into every stopset promoting a listener benefit coming up after the spots, like an artist or the weather. Also tease a contest or feature in ten or twenty minutes.
Lund Media Group has helped stations in all market sizes achieve greater ratings success. Contact John@lundradio.com for more info.